Tips on moving a refrigerator
When you are going to move to a new place, you will need to bring your appliances.
Here are some tips for getting your refrigerator ready for the move.
· Completely empty the fridge of all food and shelving.
· Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet.
· Defrost the freezer and dry it with towels.
· If you use an icemaker or water dispenser, disconnect them.
· Secure the doors closed with rope or bungee cords.
· When it is time to move the fridge, try to keep it upright. A furniture dolly would help you out the most here.
· Under no circumstances should you store the refrigerator on its side. The compressor oil can go down into the cooling tubes.
· If you cannot position the fridge upright for movement, then at least keep it angled up.
· You do not want the fridge to move inside of the moving truck, so secure it with rope against the walls of the truck.
· Once the fridge is in its new location, leave it unplugged for a couple of hours. In this time the compressor oil time will recede to where it should be.
After a few hours have passed, plug in the fridge and let it get to its normal temperature. Note that this may take a couple days, depending on your particular model.