Tips for Moving Furniture
A big part of moving is deciding on what furniture you want to bring you and what furniture you can take with you. When you have figured out what pieces of furniture are coming with you, it is time to begin the planning of packing them.
- If your furniture can be taken apart, then do so. Separate the pieces and package them securely. Collect all of the nuts, bolts, and hardware and place them in bags. If your furniture doesn’t come completely apart, take it apart as far as it can go.
- If you have the instructions for your furniture great. If you don’t, make yourself some instructions as you take apart your furniture. This will help you re-assemble your pieces at your new home.
- With your couches, take off all of the pillows and cushions. Place them all in bags.
- For any dressers, be sure to empty out all of the drawers.
- With Cabinets, empty out all of the contents. Remove the shelves if possible.
- When it comes time to put all of your furniture in the moving truck, be strategic. Place everything to where is has the firmest fit. You don’t want it to get smashed, but you also don’t want it to have too much room to move around. Use sheets and blankets to cover up your pieces and moving pads for added protection. Always use the proper tools to move the furniture. You don’t want to damage the furniture or hurt yourself. Let the movers get the heavy stuff.