If you are a gun owner and moving to another state, you have some details to work out. This is just a general list and is by no means a definitive set of rules. This is not legal advice, please look up all state and federal laws pertaining to the legal transportation of your weapons.
- Will your guns be legal to own in your new state? If not, you have to decide on whether or not to sell them or give them to a friend or family member.
- If you are planning on driving, look up the laws on transporting firearms for each state you will be passing through. Most of the time you will be fine as long as your firearms are unloaded and securely stored in the back of your vehicle. But double check all of the laws and regulations just to be sure.
- If you hold any concealed carry permits, check to see if they will be valid in your new state. Or any states you will travel through.
- You may be able to ship them with you by plane. There is just a bunch of security precautions you have to go through. But both airports you go through must be approved to transport firearms. So check the firearm policy with your intended airport.
- For a fee, you can ship your guns through a gun shop in your area to a gun shop in your new area. This is another way to help get everything registered and legal in your new state.